Friday, July 15, 2016

July 15

July 15, 2016 

Today I worked with the primates.  We were working on fixing one of the cages.  We had to take out the old poles and then cut new ones.  Again sounds easy enough right?  Nope...  We had to cut the new poles with a hand saw and they are mopani trees which are super super hard so it took forever to cut through them.  That basically took up most of the day.

I am going to work on getting a wish list of supplies they need here and how much they cost so that i can do a fund raiser when I get home and people can identify what they want their money to go towards and then we will get the money to the orphanage.  Everyday I see more and more how lucky we are and how much we take for granted at home.  People in Zimbabwe don't know any different so this is just how things are done.  It is so eye opening.  There is no running to Tractor Supply or Home Depot or Lowes for new saw blades or a chainsaw or nails or anything like that. 

I also had the chance to talk to Kevin about chemical immobilization and how they have to get all of the drugs into an animal in less than 3 cc.  He was also very interested in how we trap the Bears and using the foot snares.  He actually has some but they are apparently very controversial for trapping animals.  But he does want me to show him how to set them and use them.  I am also going to sit down with him tomorrow finally and talk to him about the enrichment ideas my students came up with before I left.  

No comments:

Post a Comment