Sunday, September 11, 2016

july 23 updated

July 23, 2016 

This morning I got to help treat the rock pythons for mites.  They probably came from the hay or grass in their bedding.  We scrubbed them with Ivermectin to get rid of them.  


Afterwards we worked on cleaning out the antelope pens and then I started working on some enrichment activities for the animals.  We are using some of the activities that my high school animal science students developed.  I started walking around collecting things and recruiting some people to work on the activities with me!  I am super excited to start putting some things together and getting them in the animal cages.

The lamb is still doing ok.  She still isn't thrilled about taking the bottle and has on and off diarrhea but she is still holding her own.  

During animal time I was in with Prince, the Serval.  He comes up and purrs and rubs against your hands and legs and drools everywhere!  Today he laid down in my lap for a little while and then when he got up he sat down in front of me and licked my face and walked away.

I think him and Carla, one of the female leopards, are my favorites.  I love to sit with Carla and she comes and rubs against my hands and drools and licks and makes rumbling noises. 

I got to see one of the hyenas today!  Sorry the picture is so dark, they tend to hide during the day.  This female was trapped and was in really bad condition when she came to the orphanage.  She had old scarring and infections around her neck, most likely from being caught in a snare.  She is also missing the about 6 inches off one of her hind legs.  She is not in the public part of the orphanage.  She and two other hyenas are in the non-public area where the quarantine cages are located, so that they do not get used to seeing people, as they will all eventually, hopefully, be released.

African sunsets are the best!




1 comment:

  1. Taryn, Your photos are not showing. Not sure if it is me or something on Blogger.

    ReplyDelete